Wir sind Mitglied:


  User online: 4
  Heute: 160
  Gestern: 441
  Gesamt: 12542

Fokker Dr.1

1:72, EDUARD, gebaut von Glenn Boss

This is Eduard’s 1/72 Fokker Dr.1, in Jasta 11/Lt. Steinhauser’s markings. You can see my first Dr.1 in one image. It is also a Jasta 11 aircraft. 

Dies ist meine zweite Fokker Dr.1 im Maßstab 1/72 vom Kitherrsteller Eduard in den Markierungen der Jagdstaffel 11, geflogen von Leutnant Steinhauser. Im Hintergrund eines Fotos ist meine erste Dr.1 zu sehen, ebenfalls vom Jasta 11.

Dr1Glenn1ka.jpg Dr1Glenn2ka.jpg Dr1Glenn3ka.jpg Dr1Glenn4ka.jpg

As the FokkerDr.1 has always been one of my favorites, I have decided to build several of the Eduard 1/72 scale versions of this aircraft. Having completed Lt. Mohnicke’s aircraft, I decided on another Jasta 11 Dr.1 flown by Lt. Steinhauser. I planned to add some enhancements on this model, as I was now more familiar with the kit.

The Eduard Dual Combo kit is an excellent value, with parts for two complete aircraft, four sets of markings, and two sets of photo etch. The parts are nicely detailed and cleanly molded. Shape and size of the parts mostly match well with Windsock Datafile drawings.



Assembly starts with the cockpit, removing the molded rib details, which were replaced with the photo etched cockpit frame. I scratch built the hand pump, but otherwise used the photo etch parts. The directions for the folding and placement of the PE control column/rudder pedal assembly are somewhat confusing. Be careful with this step.

I sanded off the tie straps on the underside of the axle wing. While shown in the Windsock drawings, they should not be there. I also filled in the attaching points on the rear fuselage for the stabilizer struts, which need to be relocated.

One of the mistakes I made on my first Dr.1 was attaching the lower wing to the fuselage before painting. This prevented me from completing the vertical fuselages streaks above the wing. This time, I cut off the wings from the center section and attached it to the fuselage. Later, I would find this to be a mistake. After some filing and sanding, it was time to start painting.


The Elusive Fokker

Streaky Finish The Fokker streaky finish is difficult to replicate in 1/72 scale, however, a reasonable representation can be achieved with some careful effort. I used a technique suggested by my friend Martin Sczepan, modified a bit.

I began by painting all upper surfaces enamel linen, tinted with a bit of yellow. After allowing the enamel to dry thoroughly, I used a damaged paintbrush with very fine bristles to apply fine streaks of Gunze Olive Drab. I used the fast drying time of this acrylic paint to my advantage. This drying paint streaked, rather than flowed, creating the illusion of individual streaks. Now I had yellow wings with Olive Drab streaks. I mixed up an Olive Drab filter (a wash), sprayed on two coats, and viola! The high contrast toned down and the yellow fabric became a light Olive.


Paint Scheme

With its whimsical cowl face and bright markings, Lt. Steinhauser’s aircraft is quite striking. I had a set of Blue decals in stock, however, after close inspection, they were disappointing. The cowl face markings were so out of register they were unusable. Regarding the fuselage markings, some publications show orange on red, while others show red on orange. I went with the latter, after seeing a photo of Steinhauser’s similarly marked Fokker DVII. However, I recently discovered a photo of the triplane which seems to indicate the opposite. This interpretation of photos is part of the fun and challenges of WWI aircraft modeling! I

painted the fuselage band and tailplane Model Master Orange, and used red decal material to represent the stripes. I painted clear decal material Orange, and with some difficulty, cut out the cowl markings. The remaining painting was straightforward. I used Gunze Green H320 for the upper wing cross fields. MisterKit WWI German Turquoise was used for the undersides, which saved me the effort of mixing this color. The Turquoise was returned slightly on the fuselage sides. The struts, cowl, and wheel hubs were painted with Model Master Italian Red toned down 25% with white. An overcoat of Gunze clear blended everything together and imparted a slight sheen.


Assembly and Finishing Touches

This is when my not-so-brilliant idea to separate the lower wing came back to haunt me. I struggled with the lower wing alignment, ultimately attaching them three times before deciding enough. I leaned my lesson – the next time I will dry fit the wing, paint the fuselage streaks, and then attach the one piece wing!

Eduard has the stabilizer struts angled backwards from the stab to the fuselage. I installed mine parallel to the elevator hinge line as shown in the Windsock drawing.

I shortened the undercarriage struts by about 1.5 millimeter, as I believe they were too long. I also added scratch built crash padding for the machine gun butts as somehow Eduard missed this detail. The remaining assembly went smoothly. Stretched sprue secured with white glue was used for the rigging. I added oil staining on the underside of the fuselage and lower wing. Some dust on the tires and oil stains on the axle wing completed the weathering.



If you haven’t built a WW1 aircraft, this kit is a good starter, It is simple, fits well, and has minimal rigging. If you forego the photo etch and various corrections you will still have a fine representation of an iconic WW1 aircraft. I have already started my third Dr.1!



Imrie, Alex The Fokker Triplane, London 1992

Rimell, Ray Fokker Dr.1 A Windsock Datafile Special, Berkhamsted, 1991

Rimell, Ray, VanWyngarden, Greg von Richthofen’s Flying Circus, Berkhamsted 1994

VanWyngarden, Greg Richthofen’s Circus Jagdgeschwader Nr 1, Oxford, 2004

VanWyngarden, Greg Fokker Dr.1 Jagdstaffeln, Berhamsted 2007

Aktualisierung: 28/03/2011 - 13:42

Copyright © 2005ff · MSC Hans Grade · powered by PHPcms
| | | | | |